4 lbs (1.8 kg) red currants
3 pints (1.8 litres) water
1 lb (450 g) sugar per pint of juice obtained.
- Wash and drain the red currants.
- Pick over to remove any damaged fruit but do not remove the stalks.
- Put the fruit into a pan with the water and stew until the fruit is pulpy.
- Turn into a jelly bag and leave to strain for 3 or 4 hours.
- Measure the juice and heat in a pan.
- Add 1 lb (450 g) warmed sugar to each pint of juice, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and boil rapidly until the jelly sets when tested.
- Remove the scum.
- Pot and seal whilst still hot.